The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers, who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
In Martinsville-Henry County, United Way has three convenient locations:
- United Way's VITA Walk-in Site at 10 Liberty Street in Martinsville ▪ Tuesday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. ▪ Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Patrick Henry Community College at 645 Patriots Avenue in Martinsville ▪ Call for an appointment, 276.403.5976
- City of Martinsville's Commissioner of Revenue's Office at 55 West Church Street in Martinsville ▪ Call for an appointment, 276.403.5136.
Plus, we have MOBILE VITA, where we come to your place business, agency, healthcare center or church. Just call us, 276.403.5976.
Prior to going to a VITA Program site, it is important that you bring the following items with you:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be used as a substitute for lack of social security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates
- Wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- All Forms 1095, health insurance statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate if applicable
- Copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- Filing for joint tax return? Both you and your sponse must be present to sign required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identification number (social security number or employer identification number)
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state if applicable
For additional information, contact Julia Hollandsworth, Community Engagement Coordinator, at the United Office, 276.638.3946, or VITA Walk-in Site, 276.403.5976.
Special thanks to The Lester Group for donating the space for our VITA Walk-in Site at 10 Liberty Street in Martinsville.