The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to people who generally make $54,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers, who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
In Martinsville-Henry County, United Way tries to have locations throughout the community. These locations are confirmed by November of each year prior to the opening of tax season, which is from mid-January to the end of April. We also have MOBILE VITA, where we come to your place of business, agency, healthcare center or church. Just call us, 276.403.5976.
Prior to going to a VITA Program site, it is important that you bring the following items with you:
- Proof of identification
- Social security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be used as a substitute for lack of social security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates
- Wage and earning statements (Forms W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
- All Forms 1095, health insurance statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate if applicable
- Copy of last year's federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
- Filing for joint tax return? Both you and your sponse must be present to sign required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identification number (social security number or employer identification number)
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state if applicable
For additional information, contact Lisa Frick, Community Impact Coordinator, at the United Office, 276.403.5965, or VITA Walk-in Site, 276.403.5976.
Special thanks to The Lester Group for donating the space for our VITA Walk-in Site at 10 Liberty Street in Martinsville and our generous sponsors of the VITA Program.